Friday, September 10, 2010

Good day, sunshine

L’Auberge Espagnole is a French film that I watched last summer on recommendation from a friend. It’s the story of a French student who through the Erasmus program studies in Barcelona for a year. During this year, he lives in a house with students of all different nationalities – hence the title of “the Spanish Inn.” There is a quote from it that I really like. When the main character arrives in the city, his running narrative reads as such:

“When you first arrive in a new city, nothing makes sense. Everythings unknown... After you've lived here, walked these streets, you'll know them inside out. You'll know these people. Once you've lived here, crossed this street 10, 20, 1000 times... it'll belong to you because you've lived there. That was about to happen to me, but I didn't know it yet.

It’s a quote that I often return to when arriving in a new city or place. Pretty cool to think about the process of a new, strange place becoming the familiar and loved.

Yesterday was my second day at EBM. After a brief meeting with the human resources manager to fully orient me to the place, I spent the rest of the day helping to deliver pews to congregational members’ homes, having a long meeting to brainstorm how to implement music into youth activities, and altogether continuing to find my feet at EBM. (Delivering pews: as EBM is in about to rebuild its sanctuary, congregation members had the choice to buy a pew. Pretty cool.) I am still in the process of figuring out my schedule; it’s probably going to be a few weeks until its set for sure. For now, I am primarily shadowing Mark, my site supervisor, and trying to keep up!

Today, I have the day off as the ball is tonight. My assignment for today though is to formulate a “lesson plan” for a children’s music program that would lead up to Christmas! Holy cow, this year is going to fly by! I am excited for the ball tonight as there will be a plethora of people from the many sides of EBM who will attend. Should be quite an evening.

Another day of sunshine in Belfast! In peace and grace! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment